Saturday, January 28, 2017

HDTV Software Upgrade

On January 15, I upgraded the software on my Samsung HDTV. One of the major networks (CBS, channel 2 in Los Angeles) had no signal whereas other channels were OK. Realizing that it was probably due to a weak signal, I wondered if a software upgrade might be of any benefit. Upon asking Google if there was a software update available, I found out that there was. Based on the instructions, television software updates seem to be like firmware updates for computers in that they are not to be taken lightly since a mishap during the upgrade could render the devices inoperable. Unfortunately I did not see any release notes that accompanied the data file or installation instructions, so I was unable to evaluate how I might benefit from a software upgrade. I doubted that a software upgrade would resolve the issue. That being said, I was feeling curious and adventurous, so I decided to go for it. Here's the model number of my TV:


This is what I saw upon initiating installation (again, I did not see any documentation about what the differences were between version 1018 and 1024):


So far so good...


After completing installation, the TV automatically "rebooted" as stated. Everything was working fine, although unfortunately I was still unable to view CBS, but the problem corrected itself by the next day as I had suspected. To this day, I have not noticed any differences in functionality or the user interface, so I suspect that this upgrade may have only included some minor bug fixes. In any case, I thought I'd share this experience in case it might benefit others. Have you upgraded the software in your TV, and do you have success stories or horror stories to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment