Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Cables Don't Eat Sandwiches

My wife reported that she has recently had trouble charging her iPhone 6 Plus. Normally she plugs it into a wall socket where the USB-to-Lightning cable is sandwiched between the Apple wall outlet adapter and a wooden laundry bin. Thinking that there could be something wrong with the iPhone Lightning port or the lightning connector on the cable, or the cable itself, I charged her phone using my USB-to-Lightning cable and Apple wall outlet adapter, and everything worked fine. To test the cord itself, I was going to try to charge my iPhone 6 Plus with her charging cable. Upon plugging her USB-to-Lightning cable (just the cable without an attached iPhone) into my iMac (running macOS Sierra 10.12.5), the following message appeared:


To confirm, I plugged the same USB-to-Lightning cable (again, cable only) into my wife's iMac (running Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6) and saw the following message:


Therefore, it seems pretty conclusive that the USB-to-Lightning cable is defective. Upon visual inspection, both ends of the cable are noticeably bent near the connectors, probably from being sandwiched against the wall:



Lesson learned: be nice to your cables.

No comments:

Post a Comment