Friday, August 8, 2014

Running Apps

I've experimented with a variety of running apps for my iPhone in the last year, so I thought I'd briefly review my impressions of each one.  Despite me using the free versions of each of the running apps, they all had more features than I was interested in using, so I am only commenting on the features that I felt were pertinent to me.  I'm sure you can get a more comprehensive review of the features and functions of each app elsewhere.  Furthermore, I'm sure you could be doing something far more productive than reading this blog, but I digress.  Lastly, I assume that the iOS (Apple) and Android (Apple copycat) versions of these apps are identical in features and functions, but I have not verified so can't say so for sure.

Map My Run.  As with all the running apps that I reviewed, there is the ability to post results from each run to social media.  One interesting feature is Route Genius which suggests routes in your area, using your home as the start and finish.  Perhaps I would have explored this feature further, but I found the prominent ads to be too obtrusive, so I deleted the app after using it only 2 or 3 times.  Buh-bye!

RunKeeper.  This is a pretty good app as far as run tracking.  It reports the usual statistics like distance, time, total elevation gain, and calories burned.  While there are reminders to upgrade from Basic to Elite, I didn't find them overly obtrusive.  However, I was very disappointed to find that after I had wiped my phone (possibly the topic of another blog post) and reinstalled the app, my activity history had disappeared!  I could not retrieve my run details even after logging into my account.  Why did the app not store my data in the cloud?  All the time I spent pounding the pavement was forgotten by this naughty app.  Was there a bug?  Was it user error?  Either way, I no longer trusted the app with my data.  Given the plethora of other running apps, I saw no choice but to end my relationship with every last bit and byte of RunKeeper (or perhaps I should say RunLoser).  Poof.

Strava.  This app used to be called Strava Run until they recently combined their running and cycling apps into one.  In addition to tracking the usual run details, I like the way this app presents a detailed elevation map, mile-by-mile splits, and I also like how you can type a name/description for each of your runs (e.g., "Friday afternoon, running away from rabid fans who had mistaken me for Jeremy Lin").  There are messages to upgrade to a Premium account, but they are not too obtrusive.  Of the apps that I reviewed, I believe (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) that Strava was the first to introduce auto-pause and also the first to allow you to define Privacy Zones so you can hide the exact location of your home, office, concubine residences, or other locations.  It also stores data in the cloud, so your data is safe even if you need to delete the app or wipe your phone.  Solid performance all around, no major downsides, definitely a keeper.

Nike+ Running.  Run details, check.  Social media postings, check.  Auto-pause, check.  Compete with friends, check.  Cloud storage, check.  Unique to this app is that for each run it automatically tags weather conditions based on your GPS coordinates, and you can also document how you felt (unstoppable, awesome, so-so, tired, or injured), where you ran (beach, road, trail, or track), and which shoes you wore (if you are really into your shoes--I am not).  I had expected this app to heavily promote Nike products, but I felt that they handled it well by putting all of their promotional materials in a menu option called "Shop Nike" which stays out of your way unless you purposely navigate to it.  Of course the Nike swoosh is displayed on many screens, but I felt that the interface was presented in a way that respected my desire to not be bombarded by marketing propaganda.  Another solid performer with no major downers, also a keeper.

And the winner is... none.  After several months, I deleted all of the running apps from my phone.  Why?  First, the social media stuff got old pretty quickly.  I realized that nobody really cared about my run logs but me.  Sure, some people congratulated me on Facebook and gave me encouragement to keep running at first, but then there was silence.  Were they tired of the same old posts?  Was I sounding boastful?  Nixed.  Second, the GPS is power-hungry!  I've started runs with 40% battery life, only to have the battery die by the time I completed my run, and I don't typically run for more than 6-7 miles at a time which could take 70-90 minutes or sometimes a bit more, depending on where I run and how many stops I make along the way (e.g., picking up my daughter from school, pushing her in the jogging stroller to her swim lessons).  Having to constantly recharge my phone was a nuisance.  Finally, I sustained some injuries which resulted in me running a lot less, so I wasn't using the apps regularly.

I hope this helps people who are evaluating running apps for the first time or people who are thinking of switching to a different one.  What are your favorite running apps and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment