Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Firefox on Older Macs

I routinely perform maintenance tasks on my parents' two iMac machines. This includes installing software updates (e.g., Adobe Flash, MS Office, Firefox), updating antivirus definitions, and removing tracking cookies/spyware. One of the machines is a mid-2011 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 iMac with 4 GB RAM, running Mac OS X version 10.7.5.  I have not updated the operating system for fear that it would significantly slow down the machine.

When performing routine maintenance over the weekend, Firefox 48.0.2 showed me the following message:


The Learn more link indicated that Firefox support has ended for Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. My options for continuing to use a secure version of Firefox were either to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later (in which case I could install the latest version of Firefox) or to switch to the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) channel which will be supported until January 2017.

Since I didn't want to take the plunge by installing Mac OS X 10.9 just yet, I installed the latest ESR release of Firefox, currently version 45.4.0:


For the time being, we are on the safest version of Firefox, but between now and January 2017, I will need to decide whether it will be worthwhile to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.9.  Does anyone have Mac OS X 10.9 running on a mid-2011 iMac (or older), and are routine activities like web browsing, email, and word processing reasonably responsive?

No comments:

Post a Comment