Sunday, February 5, 2017

Mac 'Filter Failed' Printer Error

I have a Canon imageCLASS MF4350d multifunction monochrome laser printer that is connected to my wife's 24-inch Mid 2007 iMac, with network printing enabled so that I can send print jobs from my 27-inch Late 2012 iMac. The printer has served us well for many years, but all good things must come to an end. Recently I have been encountering sporadic "Filter Failed" errors like this:


After asking Google repeatedly for solutions which range from updating Canon printer drivers (I have the latest) to resetting the printing system in System Preferences (tried that), to installing open source Gutenrpint printer drivers (unfortunately they don't have one for my model), I discovered that the problem seems to be limited to printing from Apple's Preview application.

For the problematic PDF document pictured above, I could open the document from a graphics application (in this case, GraphicConverter) and successfully print from there. I don't know where the root cause of the problem resides (eg, it could be Apple or Canon or something else), but I'm just putting this out there in case it helps someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment