Sunday, May 21, 2017

How Smart is Your S.M.A.R.T. Utility?

The other day I received a S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) warning from TechTool Pro about my Seagate FreeAgent 1.5TB external hard drive:



Digging deeper, here is the full report which shows the issue being related to reallocated bad sectors (the temperature changes were due to me copying a large number of files at the time):



I also ran DriveDx to compare results, and it also identified an issue related to reallocated bad sectors (the temperature change parameter is OK because I was not copying files at the time):



Interestingly, Apple Disk Utility did not seem to think that anything was wrong with my hard drive since it reports the S.M.A.R.T. status as Verified, and I ran this app while copying files so it seems to not have detected either the reallocated bad sectors or the temperature changes:



So my only point is that there may be some value in buying 3rd party S.M.A.R.T. utilities for their seemingly more in-depth analysis as well as real-time alerting. I suppose that the more lead time you have in your early warning system, the better.

So guess what I'm doing this weekend? As you can see from the temperature parameter on the TechTool Pro report, I'm busily backing up data before the drive fails entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment