Thursday, November 12, 2020

Real-time Food Delivery Tracking

I recently ordered a meal to be delivered to my home, and I expected to contend with the usual problems of not knowing where the delivery person is and when my food will arrive. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I received a text message from the restaurant that said I could track my order through VROMO.

As you can see from the screenshot, it is a typical map interface where you can see where the driver is located (indicated by the yellow “VR” symbol) in real time. While not pictured, you can also see your location pinned on the map. You can also click on the phone icon at the lower right of the screen to call or text your driver if needed.

One limitation is that you cannot see the driver’s intended destination. While my delivery guy was only 4 blocks away from me, he turned at an intersection and drove away from my home, so I figured that he had other deliveries on the route. I thought he was about 1 minute away, but in reality it was another 25 minutes before he arrived. It might be nice to allow the driver to enter all destinations and then show the customers how many stops the driver intends to make before delivering your food. This would also enable the app to provide somewhat accurate estimates of arrival times.

In any case, VROMO is a step in the right direction and a welcome addition to a suite of technologies that make it easier to have food delivered to your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment