Sunday, January 3, 2021

TurboTax Mac System Requirements

In February 2020, I installed TurboTax 2019 on my dad’s 2011 iMac running macOS High Sierra 10.13 and was greeted by the following message:

According to the TurboTax Help page, here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax on Macintosh machines:

In December 2020, I attempted to upgrade my dad’s 2011 iMac to macOS Mojave 10.14, only to discover that 10.14 does not run on his machine. Long story short, we ended up getting him a new 2020 iMac, configuring settings, re-installing software (including TurboTax 2020), and migrating all his files to his new iMac. This took almost all day and cost a lot of money, just so he could avoid paying someone to do his taxes for him.

Today I installed TurboTax 2020 on my 2012 iMac running macOS Mojave 10.14 and was greeted by the following message:

While I’m not a developer, I don’t believe that this system requirement has anything to do with Apple’s decision to have Catalina 10.15 support only 64-bit software. After all, TurboTax 2020 is already 64-bit compatible and runs on Mojave. Other possibilities for the system requirements are that it could be a technical issue with some functions that are required by TurboTax, or they could have just decided not to support older operating systems.

In any case, H&R Block’s TaxCut 2020 Premium runs on maxOS 10.13 while Intuit’s TurboTax 2020 Premier requires 10.14 so at least we know that macOS 10.13 users do have a choice when it comes to tax preparation software for calendar year 2020. For calendar year 2021, I may need to upgrade the operating system on my 2012 iMac to Catalina 10.15 which is the last supported operating system for that machine. More to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment