Sunday, January 10, 2021

AirPods Pro Ear Tip Fit Test

I just learned that my left ear canal is larger than my right ear canal. You see, I recently got my hands on a set of AirPods Pro and have been using them for a few weeks. One of the features of AirPods Pro is noise cancellation, and to optimize that, it is helpful to make sure the ear tips fit snugly in your ear canals.

Apple provides small, medium, and large ear tips, with the medium size installed by default and the other sizes packaged separately in the box. While the AirPods Pro have been working fine for weeks, it wasn’t until today that I ran the Ear Tip Fit Test by going to Settings > Bluetooth and tapping the info button next to my AirPods Pro. With the medium ear tips on both sides, the Ear Tip Fit Test consistently told me that the left side did not fit well (image on left). I experimented with the small and large ear tips, and I found that with the large ear tips on the left side, I was able to get a good seal (image on right).

 

Although trivial on the grand scheme of things, Apple taught me something about my body today. Hmmm, interesting!

On a separate note, I noticed that I consistently begin to experience mild soreness in my ear canal after wearing the AirPods Pro for 30-60 minutes. It’s not severe enough that I need to stop using them, but I do notice that they are pressing on my ear canals. On the other hand, I can wear AirPods and EarPods for several hours a day without any discomfort. I’m not sure if I will eventually get used to the AirPods Pro and no longer have discomfort, but right now I feel that they may have a limited role in my headphone usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment