Saturday, December 30, 2023

Charging a Canon EOS R6 Battery via USB

I recently bought a Canon EOS R6 mirrorless camera and Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM lens. For a family vacation, I made sure to purchase an extra LP-E6NH battery pack. However, I forgot to bring my battery charger. DOH! Fortunately I discovered that you can use a USB power adapter to charge a battery using the EOS R6 camera body. The instructions are provided here.

The digital terminal on the R6 body contains a USB-C port, and I initially tried to charge the battery using a USB-C cable with an Apple 5W wall adapter. However, the green indicator would not turn on (i.e., charging had not begun). I then tried an Apple 87W USB-C power adapter with the same USB-C cable, and charging began. It appears that there is a minimum power requirement, but the Canon EOS R6 manual does not seem to state what it is. If you know of another reliable source of this information, or if you have personal experience with various power supplies, please leave a comment below.

Since I needed to go to sleep and did not want to leave the charging cable plugged in overnight, I unplugged the USB-C charging cable after about 2 hours and 45 minutes, despite the continued presence of the green indicator light. The battery capacity was listed at 93%. Therefore, I estimate that about 3 hours is needed to charge a battery from 0% to 100% with my configuration.

No comments:

Post a Comment