Saturday, August 29, 2026

University of California Acceptance Rate Data

If you have a high school senior who is getting ready to apply to University of California schools, you may have seen acceptance rate statistics such as the ones from Money Magazine a few months ago which I wrote about in my “LLM Analysis of College Ratings” blog. For convenience, I am re-posting the graphic here.

The acceptance rate statistics are from a nationwide sample, but what if I told you that you could look up University of California acceptance rate statistics for students at a specific high school? The University of California Information Center publishes data on Admissions by Source School and segments data into several subcategories as shown here:

The data tables show applicants, admissions, and enrollments by California high schools and community colleges for freshmen and transfer entrants by source school, mean GPA, ethnicity and school. Of particular interest might be “Single high school lookup” under the “Freshman admission by source high school” section. Data tables are provided for:

  • Counts of fall freshmen by race/ethnicity
  • Counts of fall freshmen by gender
  • Average freshman GPA

After clicking on any of these 3 options, you will need to enter the high school name in the “Search for school name” field. Depending on the name of your school, the exact high school name could be tricky to find. If you come up blank, then go back to the home page and click on any of the 3 options under Freshman admission by source high school > All source high schools. Then filter by city and/or county and browse for the name of the high school of interest.

Back to the “Single high school lookup” section… After selecting a data table for counts by race/ethnicity, gender, or GPA, you will have the option to filter by year. You’ll also see breakdowns by campus, fall term, and applications/admissions/enrollment.

If you prefer to sort and filter data in Excel like I do, you’re in luck because there is a download button that gives you the option to download as an image, data, cross tab, PDF, or PowerPoint. Selecting “data” will result in the download of a .csv file which you can then play with in your favorite spreadsheet or database application.

I found this data to be useful because although the national acceptance rate statistics are good to know, being able to see acceptance rate statistics from my child’s high school provided a slightly different perspective. I hope you’ll find it as useful as I did. And if you found this data interesting, there are plenty of other data tables to explore at the University of California Information Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment