Wednesday, October 31, 2018

iPhone Performance Management

Today I experienced an unexpected shutdown on my iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 12.0.1). I do not recall the phone warning me that I had 20% battery life left, so it struck me as unusual for the phone to shut down. Rather than immediately charging my phone, I waited a few minutes, pressed the power button, and saw this message:


This reminded me of the Batterygate controversy that arose several months ago. Curious to learn more about the Performance Management feature that had been applied to my phone, I navigated to the Settings > Battery and found this:


Tapping on "Learn more..." took me to the iPhone Battery and Performance page on Apple Support. In my humble opinion, I think it does a good job of explaining how lithium-ion batteries chemically age over time and how iOS can manage performance peaks to prevent unexpected shutdowns.

As you can see, my battery's maximum capacity is at 83%, and I've noticed in recent months that I've had to charge my phone slightly more often than in the past. Also notice that there is a "Disable..." option that turns off Performance Management. According to the Apple Support page, if you disable performance management, you can't turn it back on, but it will be turned on again automatically if another unexpected shutdown occurs.

I'll be leaving Performance Management enabled, and I don't buy into the allegation that Apple has throttled iPhones just to get people to upgrade. Many years ago, my iPhone 5 had experienced frequent unexpected shutdowns as it aged (especially when my battery level dipped below 25-30%), and I even wish that performance management was available back then to improve my user experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment