Friday, February 22, 2019

Excuses Excuses


As described in my previous post, I recently bought a GoPro HERO7 Black. It records video at 4K (3840 x 2160). It's technically not my first device that is capable of capturing 4K video. My GoPro HERO3+ Black records video at 4K 15fps, but I found the 15fps frame rate to be unacceptable in most situations, so I mostly used 2.7K 30 fps and 1080p 60fps. However, my GoPro HERO7 Black records video at 4K 60fps (woo hoo) which means that I'll be recording a lot more 4K video.

Much to my dismay, Final Cut Pro X told me that my Late 2012 27-inch iMac (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 processor) isn't quite powerful enough to edit 4K video (or larger). I proceeded to edit a 4K project anyway, and sure enough the skimming and previewing of 4K video is quite choppy and results in a significantly degraded editing experience. However, upon export, the 4K video plays smoothly in VLC Media Player, QuickTime Player, and of course YouTube.

The bottom line is that now I have an excuse to buy a new 27-inch Retina 5K iMac. ðŸ¤“

No comments:

Post a Comment