Friday, March 27, 2020

COVID-19 Public Safety Alerts and #STFH

My iPhone was placed on my desk about 1 foot away from me when I was startled by a piercing alarm accompanied an emergency alert:


I received this message because I enabled notifications on my iPhone. There are actually 3 kinds of government alerts that you can elect to receive: AMBER alerts, emergency alerts, and public safety alerts. I guess the above alert falls into 2 of the 3 categories. More information about these alerts can be found on the Apple support page.

About 2 minutes later, I received a text message and email with the same message:


The text message and email were generated by NotifyLA, a service of the City of Los Angeles Emergency Management Department. I have received numerous text messages and emails from NotifyLA about wildfires and COVID-19. If you live in a major metropolitan area, chances are that there will be similar services available to you.

On the plus side, I think it’s terrific that we have so many ways of rapidly disseminating information to a large number of people. On the other hand, I continue to see social media posts that many people are not adhering to social distancing measures, and I have witnessed this first hand while running “essential” errands (e.g., getting food) around Los Angeles. So overall, it’s too bad that we have to use this technology. Let’s get it together folks and stay the f*ck home.

No comments:

Post a Comment