Monday, August 7, 2023

Eleven Table Tennis Adapters

I’ve been playing Eleven Table Tennis (ETT) on the Meta Quest 2 for more than a year. I’ve previously written about ETT personality profiles, how the game addresses latency to produce near-real time gameplay and how to revert to an older version of ETT.

Although the Quest 2 adapters work quite well for me, many players have recommended that I use a table tennis adapter to more realistically simulate the holding of a real table tennis paddle. There are many adapters to choose from, and the first consideration seems to be whether you want to use a traditional shakehand grip (which looks roughly similar to how you might shake someone’s hand) or penhold grip (which is popular among Chinese players). I prefer the penhold grip and will share my experience with 2 different adapters.

The first adapter I bought was the AMVR adapter which has received good reviews. The Quest controller mounts securely, and I never worried about the controller flying off the adapter. There is an AMVR adapter setting that comes standard with ETT, so configuration is easy. However, after playing for a while, I felt that my forearm was getting sore due to the setup being top-heavy. After a week or so, I decided to return the AMVR adapter and try something different.

Many players have recommended the SolidSlime adapter, so I decided to give it a try. The Quest controller is mounted closer to the handle, so the weight distribution feels more natural than the AMVR adapter. For me, this is the major improvement over the AMVR adapter. The SolidSlime adapter comes with a couple of thumbscrews that are used to clamp the Quest controller in place. Despite fully tightening the screws, I still get a small amount of movement/shake in my controller, although I can’t say that it noticeably affects gameplay. There is also an in-game setting for this adapter, so configuration is quick and simple. This is the adapter that I plan to stick with for the time being.

I must admit that with both the AMVR and SolidSlime adapters, I have not played as well as compared with the Quest controllers alone. However, I have played with the Quest controller far longer than I have played with an adapter, so I plan to give it some more time and see if my game improves.

Finally, it appears to me that the SolidSlime adapter is 3D printed. If you have a 3D printer and want to experiment with some different adapters, you can find several Quest table tennis adapters on Thingiverse.


No comments:

Post a Comment