Sunday, September 15, 2024

Bambu Lab A1 Timelapse Videos

I recorded a timelapse video while printing an object with my Bambu Lab A1. While printing from the micro SD card, I noticed that after selecting my print file, there was a “Timelapse” button on the touch screen that could be toggled on/off prior to starting a print. I turned it on and started the print. A timelapse video was then saved to the micro SD card which I transferred to my computer upon completion.

I learned afterward about the Bambu Studio slicer options for timelapse recordings. You can choose between Traditional model and Smooth mode. Because filament can leak while the print head moves out of the way for the camera to take a snapshot, this can result in imperfections in your print. In Smooth mode, a prime tower is added to your print so that the excess filament can be ejected into the prime tower, resulting in preservation of print quality. So basically you’ll need to choose between compromising print quality or wasting filament in your purge tower. Refer to the Bambu Lab Wiki for more information about Timelapse Functionality.

The timelapse video is in 1536x1080 resolution and is saved to the micro SD card is a .avi file that is encoded with a MJPG codec which is basically a video that is composed of a series of JPG images all compressed into 1 video. The problem I encountered is that many macOS applications cannot decode this format. QuickTime chokes entirely, while VLC displays a “Broken or missing index” error but then eventually allows me to view the video. Final Cut Pro is unable to import the .avi file at all. Fortunately, HandBrake is an open source video transcoder that easily converts the .avi file to .mp4 which is more or less universally compatible with everything nowadays.



Besides the filament leakage issue that I discussed above, another disadvantage of recording timelapse videos is that it adds several seconds of print time to every layer. I won’t be regularly recording timelapse videos of my 3D prints due to the tradeoffs, but it’s great to know that the Bambu Lab A1 has this capability.

No comments:

Post a Comment