Thursday, August 10, 2017

Video Processing on Google Photos

For the past 1-2 years, I have been using the Google Photos iOS app on my iPhone to backup all of my photos and videos to my Google account. When a video is uploaded, Google "processes" the video which means it gets converted into a number of different formats and resolutions so it can be played back on different devices and resolutions (similar to what happens when you upload a video to YouTube). Recently I shot numerous videos in 1080p 60fps and synchronized them to Google Photos.  Although I uploaded them on August 5, they were still processing on August 7:

   

However, sometime between August 7 and August 10 (today), the videos finished processing and are now playable. It looks like this issue has been reported in many online forums, and in case others are wondering, my videos eventually became available, I just had to wait a few days.

Despite the delays in video processing, I am still a big fan of Google Photos. A slight delay due to video processing time is a small inconvenience in return for free unlimited compressed (although high quality) backups of photos and videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment